Frequently Asked Questions
1) What is the University of Mines & Technology campus Wi-Fi?
The University of Mines & Technology campus WI-FI is a wireless internet signal within the confines of the university academic and residential facilities which aims to bring IT closer to both students and Staff in order to facilitate effective teaching and learning This enables both students and staff to access the internet on campus using the university network which is spread across most of the university campus through various access points.
2) Where do I find these UMaT Wi-Fi hotspots?
UMaT WI-FI can be found at the following locations: The Administration Block, Electrical & Mechanical Blocks, Mathematics, Geomatics, Mining & Mineral Blocks, The Library, The Computer Block and the Halls of Residence.
3) Are there any signage or notices that will prompt me that a university facility has WI-FI hotspot around?
Currently there are no signs or notices, but we will be placing WI-FI zone signs at some vantage sections within the university campus where the wifi zones can be found. You can also scan for the signal of any of the available WI-FI hotspots The following Students Residences within the university campus have WI-FI zones: The Chamber of Mines Hall (Dubai & Novotel), The Gold Refinery Hall.
4) How do I use the WI-FI on University of Ghana campus?
The UMaT WI-FI works on only devices that have WI-FI capability (Most laptop computers, tablets and some phones)
5) Which specific devices can connect to UMaT Campus WI-FI?
All Laptops with WI-FI capability, desktop computers with WI-FI network card or WI-FI USB dongles. Smartphones like; Apple iPhone, HTC smartphones, Samsung smartphones and a host of others. Tablets like IPAD, Samsung Galaxy tabs, Nexus 7,10 etc.
6) There are a lot of WI-FI names at where I am located, how do I know which ones belong to University of Mines & Technology?
The University of Mines & Technology WI-FI has been prefixed with the name of the location where the access point is located, e.g. Maths Wifi / Electrical Wifi.
7) I am NEITHER A UMaT STAFF MEMBER NOR A STUDENT, I came for a programme/seminar organised by the University of Mines & Technology. How do I connect to the WI-FI?
Non staff or students are categorised as 'Guests. 'Guests should contact personnel of the ICT Unit for user credentials and browser settings configuration.
8) I am a visiting lecturer, where should I go to obtain my username and password?
Visiting lecturers are all guests of UMaT and should therefore contact personnel from the ICT Unit to obtain user credentials.
9) I am national service personnel, what do I do to get WI-FI connection?
National Service persons are treated as staff of the University but with access level restrictions. They must contact personnel from the ICT Unit to obtain user credentials.
10) Do I have to configure my device before connecting?
Yes, you will be unable to connect to the UMaT WI-FI without configuring it though you might have correct user credentials.
11) Great, can I bring my device to the ICT Unit to be configured?
No, all users are supposed to configure their devices by themselves. There is a step by step procedure on how to do the configuration that can be found at the University of Mines & Technology webpage.
12) My friend (colleague/ other staff members/ other students) have configured their own laptops/devices, can I follow the settings and do the same?
Yes, it’s the same procedure.
13) My device just can’t connect, should I bring it to the ICT Unit for help & support?